Before You Go
Tradeshows can be very tiring for your physical and mental equilibrium. It is extremely important to come prepared with:
- The right attire. Formal business clothing is a must but make sure it is comfortable enough to walk for miles. The focus is on shoes. Don’t let your shoes destroy your feet, you need them healthy for several days.
- Bring all the tech that you need. I always bring with me an external phone charger, phone cord, laptop charging cable, adapter (if you are travelling from abroad). Also a good idea to bring your purchased movies or ebooks with you as it is inevitable to spend some lone time while travelling to such big events.
- Remember all your docs. Bring with you your hotel reservation, transportation information and ID. Also remember your business docs, those include contracts, brochures, forms (although I would expect you to have an online version – it’s 2014 after all).
While you will need only your email to print your badge, it is a good idea to bring your confirmation email – handy at registration.
- Inform Your Customers. Let your customers know that you will be at IMEX America, this is valid whether you are an exhibitor or an attendee. Put a badge on your site or add a signature to your email.
- Book Meetings. Do not leave meeting scheduling to the last minute. It would be such a shame to miss that vital appointment if you did not plan for it. The official IMEX app comes handy for scheduling, but more on this later.
Keep Yourself Hydrated and Eat Healthy
We all have different objectives when it gets to attending events. Whatever your objective, you have to make sure to be hydrated and eat healthily during the whole show. Pay special focus and attention during the day as it can be very easy to indulge in a few drinks at night.
Some tips include:
- Always keep a bottle of water with you. Even better if you have a refillable water bottle, there are water fountains in the restrooms you can use to refill. Beware that booth lighting can make you feel really hot. Vegas also happens to be in the desert which makes hydration a red alert.
- Eat healthy. You can find the world’s best restaurants in Vegas. You can also find some stupendous junk food. The saying in medio stat virtus could not be more true on this occasion. You have to be smart to find good food at IMEX America. There is a food court in the Venetian, a little further away, but with more healthy options. Do not over indulge in canapés!
- Easy on the coffee!!!. It’s very easy to rely on coffee to make it until the end of the show. Demanding networking and parties scream for coffee the morning after. Just make sure you pace yourself if you don’t want to look like Flipper the dolphin at 5pm. I always recommend a good espresso and Espressamente. Illy is a good place to get your fix. Alternatively the Italia booth always offers some great coffee (of course), make sure to visit them.
There are a lot of people that love IMEX America like you do. The thing is that Vegas is not only popular for IMEX America, there is a whole crowd of gamblers, newly-weds and party goers you have to deal with.
A major tip few are aware of is that you can walk to the show floor via the second level of the Venetian. While it may be confusing at first, it is much quicker during show days. You can check the Venetian official map here.
Download the Official IMEX App
Event Apps have become a standard requirement for events this size. The IMEX event app is an essential of your 2014 visit.
Hosted buyers can check their appointments or consult their accommodation and travel information. Exhibitors can also check their staff calendars and view or edit appointments accordingly.
If education is one of your objectives, the app is the essential companion to show you what’s on, speakers’ profiles and session locations.
The biggest decider on downloading the app for me is usually the interactive map. You want to know ‘where is what’ without wasting any paper. Also cool to follow tweets and update social networks from the app.
Not sure about you but I can already feel my feet hurting while overstimulated by the lights and buzz.
It’s a great routine to take a break between appointments and stand visits. Go outside, even for a few minutes, see some daylight. It’s easy to forget to walk through the Palazzo or Venetian, take your mind off the show. That will help you to regain focus and tackle the show again. Breathe….
If you have access to lounges, this is a good time to visit them.
Fix Your Event
We all love education and great speakers, but what about you and your event? One of the greatest new features of IMEX America is the Meet the Experts Clinic. These are 20 minute one-to-one sessions with an industry expert that will be ready to answer all your questions.
Let me tell you that this is quite cool. You are getting targeted advice for your event or business on topics such as social media, leadership, career development, marketing, communications and business development.
But there’s a twist. I will be on the show floor for 2 hours helping you with social media and content marketing. It does not happen often that I do one-to-one consulting as I chose the one-to-many option with the blog. Therefore do not miss the opportunity. You can book your (free) session here.
Ask the IMEX Team
If you plan events for #eventprofs, you have to be super nice and helpful. This is exactly what the IMEX team is. You can reach out to any of them if you have any questions about the show.
Also don’t miss the IMEX Social Team in their red T-shirts. They will help you with connecting online with the show, whether it is your first or 10000th tweet. And don’t forget to use the show’s hashtag: #IMEX14
Network Like an Insider
Business and Networking are the recurring reasons why we attend trade shows. I want you to be a networking ninja at IMEX America this year. So make sure you have a clear networking strategy before leaving.
Who are you trying to meet? Where do they hangout? What key parties should you attend?
I know that all the cool peeps in event technology are going to be at Fresh Dinner, happening in the super cool and high tech Downtown Vegas. What is the dinner/event you are NOT going to miss?
IMEX America is a great show but can be overwhelming for the first-time as well as the seasoned attendee. This guide is your fast pass to access all the goodness IMEX America has to offer, while keeping yourself focused, fit and healthy.
Posted in News on 01 October 2014
Breaking up is hard to do, but it appears it may not be too difficult for eBay and PayPal.
In a little less than a year, the two firms will split to become independent, publicly-traded companies. It’s a plan, eBay stated in a press release, approved by its board of directors in a bid to position both entities “to capitalize on their respective growth opportunities in the rapidly changing global commerce and payments landscape, and is the best path for creating sustainable shareholder value.”
Those changing landscapes seem to be the main impetus behind the split. With Apple’s recent payment system being announced and online payment systems changing, the future of PayPal remains murky, at best.
Distancing itself from PayPal could strengthen eBay and may mean an interesting rethinking of what PayPal is in the future.
However, eBay’s president and chief executive officer, John Donahoe, said both are in “leading global positions” and will continue to be major players in the Internet commerce world.
“For more than a decade eBay and PayPal have mutually benefited from being part of one company, creating substantial shareholder value,” he said. “However, a thorough strategic review with our board shows that keeping eBay and PayPal together beyond 2015 clearly becomes less advantageous to each business strategically and competitively. The industry landscape is changing, and each business faces different competitive opportunities and challenges.”
The shake-up means there will be some new names and faces associated with each business, The Verge reported.
eBay’s current marketplaces chief, Devin Wenig, will be named the new eBay Inc. chief executive officer when the restructuring is completed while American Express executive Dan Schulman has been recruited to helm the new PayPal.
Posted in News on 01 October 2014
The loss of data is being, well, lost thanks to the general availability of Oracle’s Zero Data Loss Recovery Appliance.
The company’s executive chairman and chief technology officer, Larry Ellison, announced Monday Oracle is rolling out the world’s first and only engineered system designed specifically for Oracle Database protection.
“This massively scalable appliance delivers unparalleled data protection, efficiency, and scalability,” a company press release stated.
The announcement means businesses that generally lose all data created since their last backup will no longer have to worry about the information disappearing. It not only reduces the impact of back-ups on production servers and networks but also avoids the cost and complexity of disparate back-up systems.
On the same day, Ellison unveiled his company’s decision to expand on its cloud portfolio, an area it has aimed to improve over the past few years.
Oracle introduced six new Oracle Cloud Platform services to help customers and partners develop and deploy new applications, extend and personalize Oracle SaaS applications, and migrate existing on-premises applications to Oracle Cloud.
“We had no choice. We had to deliver SaaS, PaaS and Infrastructure-as-a-Service together because of a promise we made to our customers 30 years ago,” Ellison told ZDNet.
Ellison said while Oracle has the largest portfolio in the industry thanks to in-house development and acquisitions, competition is fierce and the company is duking it out with Salesforce.com.
“Salesforce.com is very good at helping you keep track of opportunities,” Ellison was quoted as saying.
However, he added, Oracle’s service and marketing clouds help engineer sales campaigns and provide databases needed by sales people to create and pursue new opportunities.